In recent years, eBay has grown obnoxious to sellers ridiculously.
Many sellers left eBay for good and never came back. Others reduced their presence tremendously.
Many of those being Top-rated Seller but couldn’t retain their TRS status.
Are you looking for eBay alternatives because you’re sick and tired of eBay?
Or maybe you want to expand and want another viable marketplace to list your items in.
Or maybe you’re just curious?
If your answer to any of these questions is “yes”, read on…
First off, let me tell you: there’s tens (or maybe hundreds?!) of online marketplace websites known as “eBay Alternative”.
I can’t possibly even name them all here; let alone reviewing them. So I’ll talk about some major ones below.
Amazon is the biggest eBay rival. Many times in the past, eBay copied Amazon either in policies or how to present items to buyers (and I’m sure they will in the future).
Amazon generates huge traffic. I definitely recommend you list your items with Amazon. However, there are some points to consider when selling with Amazon.
The major negative point (at least for me) is that sellers are not allowed to sell anything they want globally (only some items are allowed). Also, you have to list against current listings or pay a monthly fee. But Amazon generates tons and tons of traffic.
- Lacking the ability to sell internationally (except for DVDs, books, movies and some limited other items);
- Having to pay a monthly fee to create your own listing;
- Even if paying monthly fee, have to list against an original listing if the UPC or ISBN already exist
- Huge traffic to your listings;
- Well known marketplace;
- Fast payouts; Great tools at your disposal;
This website is a nice, seller friendly eBay alternative with pleasant interface.
The big advantage of ebid is that it’s FREE for both the seller and the buyer! However, I strongly suggest to get Seller+ so you get a lot of additional features for life for a one time payment.
There are currently over 5 million listings on ebid.net. You can find everything from art to electronics and from household items to laptops on ebid. There’s a huge number of categories.
The support is fantastic and will resolve your problems very quick. ebid don’t let buyers rip off sellers like eBay do! They put buyers in their place. For example, they remove unfair feedback when you prove to them it was unfair (and that’s an easy process).
Unlike Amazon, you can sell any item internationally to many countries.
They improve continuously. For example, they added the ability to cancel a transaction if payment is not received (before you had to contact customer support to get the FVF credit); and there will be a “Best Offer” function to Buy Now listings.
Update: The Best Offer functionality is live now!
I like everything about ebid except two thing: traffic is not that high (at least for me!) and the html editor can take only 40,000 characters. Other than that it’s fairly easy to list and you can have 5 separate stores and unlimited number of listings.
You don’t have to pay a cent if you don’t want to although I recommend getting the Seller+ account which will cost just $49.49 (one time payment). I did and I made the fee back through sales pretty quick. Anyway, signing up is free. They don’t misuse your information and don’t send spam.
- Traffic is somewhat low compared to eBay and Amazon;
- The HTML editor can only take 40,000 characters so if you’re used to eBay listings with a lot of formatting, you’ll need to adjust;
- Not 100% free if you want to take advantage of all features;
- Ability to sell internationally anything to a lot of countries;
- Very low fees or even all free depending on what you use;
- Great community willing to help you out either as seller or buyer;
- Fantastic support team who will resolve almost any problem in their power very fast;
- They back up sellers very good against dead bid or fraudulent buyers
Next, I’ll talk about other marketplaces like ecrater and bonanza. Stay tuned!
What’s your experience or thoughts on ebay alternatives? Have you used any? Please share below.